Today on the show, I’m talking with Dr. Marisa Vernon White, Vice President of Enrollment Management and Student Services at Lorain County Community College.
We begin by discussing Lorain County Community College’s use of data-informed collaboration and case management to understand the needs of its students and the broader community. We also talk about how they established data-informed practice not only across their leadership teams but at all levels of the institution, including departments and even individual advisors.
One myth debunked in our conversation is that you need one platform to do everything. Instead, we explore why it’s important to strategically connect all your systems, like student success analytics, case management systems, and student-centered scheduling to reduce tasks and make more room for developing students.
Dr. Vernon White also shows how using student success analytics has allowed her team to deliver proactive and personalized support at a scale dramatically changing and shaping student outcomes.
- [3:01] – Dr. White shares her background and current role at Lorain County Community College.
- [4:36] – There’s a difference between being a community college and being the community’s college.
- [5:56] – LCCC has always strived to be student-centered, and the first priority is to know who their students are.
- [6:52] – For them, it is important to have a rich data culture so they can zero in on the students they serve at a student-ready college.
- [8:37] – From a data perspective, LCCC has gotten very sophisticated in its use of data and what they prioritize to lean into.
- [10:24] – Student success has been a journey at LCCC, and Dr. Vernon White shares their experience and how they use data to generate dialogue.
- [12:05] – Their Enrollment Planning Council at LCCC is using enrollment and persistence data generated by Civitas Learning to have conversations with students.
- [13:24] – Data helps direct advisors to the students who need them the most and can help move the needle forward. Data helps shape the action.
- [16:05] – What strategies at LCCC are the ones that are moving the needle forward?
- [17:41] – Empowering everyone with the information, advisors can reach students in their own unique style to boost the student experience.
- [19:41] – Having the macro picture can actually help bring it down to a micro level.
- [22:48] – What are the tools and systems used at LCCC that make this work possible?
- [24:11] – Your systems need to support your action.
- [26:40] – Technology has evolved, and the systems available can make more time for the human to human conversations and guidance.
- [28:32] – Another benefit to these systems is improved data literacy among faculty.
- [30:19] – More things pop up in data, but keep the focus on the transformational pieces that drive action.