In The News

October 14, 2019 // The Chronicle of Higher Education

What Real Change Looks Like

Whether you’re energized, skeptical, or a bit of both, there’s no denying that the innovation imperative has become an animating force in college leadership since the 2000s, and especially in the wake of the Great Recession. More than a talking point and a conference theme, it is now a currency of its own, a standard by which institutions and presidents are judged and even ranked.

Read More

October 14, 2019 // EDUCAUSE Review

Catching the Waves: Technology and the Community College

Four waves of technology are linked to access and success—the twin pillars of community college philosophy. We are poised to have more tools, techniques, and technologies at our fingertips than ever before to help our students access learning, succeed on their learning journeys, and ready themselves for productive careers and lives.

Read More

October 12, 2019 // Mesa Community College

Alumni and Community Members Honored with MCC Hall of Fame Awards

Eleven outstanding alumni and community members will be welcomed into Mesa Community College’s Hall of Fame during a reception and ceremony hosted by the MCC Alumni Association on October 24. The MCC Hall of Fame honors alumni, community members, and MCC employees whose personal and professional accomplishments, and positive contributions to the college and community set them apart.

Read More

October 2, 2019 // EdDive

What 5 colleges learned from implementing guided pathways

Guided pathways have become a full-fledged movement among community colleges in the past few years.

So far, more than 300 institutions have adopted the model, which helps students graduate on time by outlining the courses they need to earn a credential or transfer to a four-year college.

Read More

September 20, 2019 // eCampus News

Do student success initiatives actually help?

Student success initiatives may not have as much impact as intended–a new study shows that just 60 percent of student success initiatives have a positive impact on student persistence, with 40 percent having either no impact or a negative impact.

Read More

September 12, 2019 // Campus Technology

How Personalized Support and a Culture of Data Can Jumpstart Student Success

The University of South Florida has had formal programs to improve graduation and student success rates for a decade. The institution launched a Student Success Task Force in 2009, and was able to raise six-year graduation rates from 48 percent to 68 percent in 2014. But those gains plateaued two points shy of the state of Florida’s benchmark to measure excellence in student success.

Read More

September 12, 2019 // EdSurge

To Retain College Students, Look to Academic Support and Campus Activities, New Report Finds

What keeps college students coming back for more? A new report on the effects college programs have on student retention attempts to answer that question.

Read More

September 11, 2019 // Inside Higher Ed

Report: Student Support Data, Not Best Practices, Drives Persistence

New research analyzing more than 1,000 student support initiatives at 55 institutions found that 40 percent of those services demonstrated no impact on student persistence.

Read More

September 11, 2019 // EdDive

Report: 40% of student success initiatives don't help retention

Looming enrollment declines and persistent equity gaps are prompting colleges to do more to help the students they have complete college. Those pressures have resulted in many institutions ramping up their student services, but it can be difficult to determine which initiatives are working and which aren’t.

Read More

September 10, 2019 // Campus Technology

Many Student Success Initiatives Have No Impact on Retention

According to a recent analysis from Civitas Learning, only 60 percent of student success initiatives have a measurable positive impact on student persistence. That leaves a full 40 percent of initiatives having no impact whatsoever.

Read More